Tuesday 6 November 2012

Blueberry breakfast muffins

IMG_3856
The husband started complaining about how boring his morning breakfast of toast, butter and cold meats were getting too monotonous and I thought I'll whip up some blueberry muffins for him. The muffins came out ok but our gluttonous minds set to work the moment they came out of the oven and so we were left with around 3 by the next morning. Since its just me and Ro doing all the eating, I usually make small quantities of all the cakes and bakes and cookies and such. This was no exception and yes, out of 8 large muffins, we ate around 5 within a time span of about 3 hours and then resisted the urge to have them as dessert after dinner.

So the muffins lasted for exactly one morning and it hasn't made its way through ever since. But please don't judge them by what I just said. It's got nothing to do with taste, just that blueberries went out of season right after this and the husband went back to having toast and cold meats because the muffins still left him hungry!!!!

I have tried making muffins numerous times before and except for the time I tried them with whole wheat, the rest have all been disastrous. I keep wanting them to taste (and look) like the Starbucks ones, but they don't come anywhere close. These, however, were moist, easy to put together and good to look at, and I was sold. If I ever make blueberry muffins again, I shall be sticking to this recipe. Well unless Starbucks actually gives me the recipe for their mother of a muffin :)

Recipe adapted from here (makes 8 of them)
IMG_3881-1 
Egg- 1 large
Sugar- 1/2 cup
Vegetable oil- 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract- 1/4 tsp
Plain flour- 1 cup
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Baking soda- 1/4 tsp
Plain yogurt- 1/2 cup
Blueberries- 1/2 cup (heaped)
IMG_3863-1 
Mix together flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Keep aside
In a large mixing bowl, using a wire whisk or a wooden spoon, beat the egg till light and fluffy.
Gradually add in the sugar, while continuously whisking, followed by oil.
Stir in the vanilla extract.
Tip in the dry ingredients alternating the yogurt and mix it all in, without any traces of flour being obvious.
Slowly fold in the blueberries and using a large ice-cream scoop add the batter to a muffin pan, lined with muffin cases/ cups.
Bake in an oven preheated at 200C for about 20 to 22 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean (if you by chance pierce a blueberry, it wont come out clean, so don't take that into consideration)
Transfer the tray on to a wire rack and after about 5 minutes, remove the muffin cups and leave to cool completely.
Stays fine at room temperature for 2 days.

Notes: Original recipe calls for sour cream, but I had only yogurt at hand and used it instead. came out super moist whatsoever.

14 comments:

FLAVZCORNER said...

I love blueberries in anything. They are so yummy and the muffins are great easy-to-go bf. I kinda follow the same recipe, except I use sour cream for yogurt.

Anonymous said...

Wow Nisha...my fav kinda muffin...yum!!!!these muffins look so soft and moist....love the light in the pics...beautiful...I am struggling with the light now :(

Vineetha Sush said...

I m really hungry now...I love blueberry muffins,but haven't tasted the starbucks one,there is one right in the corner,next time when I go should buy one :)
Btw abt ur comment ..even I don't know what all went in that African salad ..will ask my friend,it had all sorts of tropical fruits and some veggies and spinach too..it was a sweet one with lovely fruit puree dressing .Do try that chettinadu curry it goes well with shaana paratha :)

Vimitha Durai said...

They look so soft and loving the flavor of that berry... Bookmarking

Suhaina said...

Nisha...these looks super yumm and love the beautiful clicks. I always prefer muffins for brrakfast and this looks perfect.

Noemi said...

I love blueberry muffins! :) So cute...!

Have a nice day

Noemi

Plateful said...

These looks so moist and berry-licious, I'd love to have one or two for evening tea!

divya said...

This looks simply mouthwatering ...delicious!

great-secret-of-life said...

perfect soft muffin.. I love blueberry muffin anytime for any meals!
Love it
great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Priya Suresh said...

I dont buy frequently blueberries coz none at home like it already, if i want to bake muffins with blueberries i can bake them only in my dream.

Super soft muffins, wish i live near you.

Suja Manoj said...

Moist and yummy muffins,can have them anytime..cute and inviting

Kajal said...

Nishaaa! Those muffins are bursting with blueberries! Oooh! i could go all Nigella Lawson with them and not stop! :) and i have a similar go-to recipe for muffins/cupcakes. Think the yogurt and oil make it less guilt-inducing :D

Isingcakes said...

Starbucks muffins yes, they do taste out of the world..but Nisha..these look super moist and yum..no wonder you had a few for breakfast:) and I just love the fork you have placed!!!

Anonymous said...

I just made this and it was sooo good! I used 1/8 cup oil, because i am trying to stay health, but it still tasted amazing. I filled the cases up too much though :( I will definitely make these again so thanks for the recipe!!!