Monday 31 December 2012

Cheese and onion pull apart bread

IMG_1968
This recipe had been doing the rounds on Pinterest a while back and I had bookmarked it then. I did make it once, since it had all things yum and was too good a recipe to keep for another day. It was so easy to put together and I did take pics with the intention of blogging it, but like loads of my recipes, this one got lost among those Picasa folders.

Yesterday I made this for dinner and that's when I realised I hadn't blogged it. Searched around and found the folder. Its a perfect appetiser idea, or if you want to serve bread with soup, then this is most certainly it. Its not something you'd want to have on a daily basis but once in a while its a treat and you deserve it. Make this if you want to feed about 5 to 6 people and like I said before its a great appetiser idea, where you can just tear and share the bread. 

The first time around I managed the whole thing on my own, but yesterday with the slicing and stuffing, I found it a bit difficult without an extra pair of hands. Ro, much to my annoyance, couldn't remember ever eating the bread. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to try new things. Well to be honest its more for my benefit, but that's rant I shall leave for another time.

What's everyone's plans for New Years. No crazy party this year for us, just gonna chill out at my sister in laws place with some Champagne and good food, and maybe if we are up to it, head out to a club (just the ladies that is). Before signing off, here's wishing you all a Happy New Year and may you have a year filled with all goodness possible. 

PS: If you want to win a mini fridge for your home, don't forget to enter the giveaway

Recipe adapted from here
IMG_1917 
Sourdough bread- 1 loaf (I used a French Boule)
Cheddar cheese- 250 gms, thinly sliced (if you have a cheese slicer that's best)
Butter- 1/2 cup (i used a mix of garlic butter ans salted butter)
Green/ spring onions- 1/4 cup, roughly chopped
Poppy seeds- 1 1/2 tsp
IMG_1975 
Preheat the oven to 176C and line a baking sheet with aluminium foil.
Slice the bread lengthwise and widthwise without going all the way to the bottom. Don't fret about it too much, it doesn't need to be of equal size and such. Do whichever size is convenient, just make sure you don't go all the way through to the crust.
Place the bread on the foil and insert the cheese slices into the sliced crevices of the bread. Try stuffing it as deep as possible and between all the cuts.
Melt butter in the microwave and into it add the spring onions and poppy seeds.
Pour this on top of the bread as evenly as possible.
Wrap the bread with the foil and bake for about 15 minutes.
Unwrap the bread and continue baking for another 10 minutes or till all the cheese has melted.
Serve warm.
IMG_1922 
Notes: Original recipe calls for mushrooms as well. if you want to do so then saute 250gms of finely chopped mushrooms in 1tbsp of butter for about 3 to 4 minutes or till they start to sweat. Then add about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and continue cooking the mushrooms till all the water has evaporated.

Transfer on to a plate and leave aside to cool. And just after you insert the cheese slices, pour the mushroom over the bread, again trying to stuff in as much possible between the cuts.
I have adjusted the measurements according to what the French boule could take. 
The cheese in the original recipe is Provolone. I couldn't get them here, so used Cheddar and it worked just fine. I also tried it with Gouda, but it wasn't up to mark.

15 comments:

Finla said...

I have seen them too but have not tried yet, looks beautiful and yumm. Love the board too.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Yumm :) THis is my fav BG Nisha.. looks absolutely yumm and tempting. Wish you Happy New Year !!!

Torviewtoronto said...

this is delicious bread looks wonderful

Unknown said...

this is such a fantastic idea to serve at a table and pretty simple too :) thanks for sharing. hope you have a great time with the family.

indugetscooking said...

Been wanting to do a pull apart bread for a long time. But got no oven and don't want to risk it on a stove. Will do someday soon!! Love the pics.

Play Angry-Bird Game said...

great post

divya said...

looks awesome...Wishing you & family a very Happy New Year !!

Bergamot said...

This looks like a really wonderful idea. Bread baked with cheese and onions sounds great.

kankana said...

That and some red wine :)
I love pull apart bread and specially when it has a cheese savory filling!

Priya Suresh said...

Who can resist to this super cheesy and flavourful pull apart bread, just drooling here Nisha.

Happy new year wishes to you and your family Nisha.

Jen said...

I agree - definitely not an everyday treat, but perfect for a holiday party!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Happy New Year..Love pull apart breads and this looks very delicious..Love the pics..

Kariman Al Essawy said...

OMG that photo is wow your dish looks so yummy I really have to try this yummy bread, thanks for sharing :)

موسوعة الطبخ said...

thank you so much =)

Bharathy said...

I love this! all Yummy ingredients together in btween the cuts :)