Tuesday 25 December 2012

Cream cheese frosting

IMG_60091
Here's wishing all the readers of Look Who's Cooking Too a very merry Christmas. May your day be filled with loads of good food and great company.

I shall be flambeeing my Christmas pudding which has been maturing right next to our wine collection and hopefully it would taste good, considering I steamed it for 7 hours. If not, I still have 2 more puds stashed away, thanks to Asda and Harrods. I would thoroughly miss the early morning Christmas service in church (cant go to a church here because public transportation comes to a standstill on Christmas day), the appam and stew at my grand moms, opening gifts and the rest of the day spent catching up with family and friends. Sigh!
IMG_5772 
I shall not dampen my spirits here, so leaving you all with this kick-ass cream cheese frosting recipe which I must say is my favourite so far and is an absolute keeper. I have tried different combinations and proportions but this is so far the best ever. The fact that there is no butter itself makes me wanna jump in glee, and anything with double cream is a hit. It is also the first time I have managed to pipe out the frosting which means the consistency was absolutely perfect. The other frosting method I have used, do work when there is no piping involved, and it was my go to recipe till I discovered this. So henceforth no more cream cheese butter cream or cream cheese-mascarpone frosting, just plan ol cream cheese and double cream. 

I made these velvets a couple of days back to gift some friends and neighbours and I'm kicking myself for not making more as Ro and I were fighting for the last cake. I also had big plans of posting a beef roast recipe, but then, laziness gets the better of me most of the time and so leaving you with perhaps the shortest recipe on LWCT. I just had to post it here for posterity. Once again, Merry Christmas and have an extra shot of boozy eggnog for me.

Recipe adapted from here (frosts 12 cupcakes)
IMG_5816 
Cream cheese- 226 gms, at room temperature (I used Philadelphia cream cheese)
Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp
Icing sugar- 1/2 cup
Double cream- 2/3rd cup, cold
IMG_5831
Using the paddle attachment of your free standing mixer or a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese till smooth and fluffy, for about a minute on medium speed.
Add the vanilla extract and sugar and continue beating till no traces of sugar is seen. (Is using any colour add at this point).
You can also add any other flavouring like coffee or Baileys or any other liqueur in place of vanilla extract. The consistency might slightly vary, so add double cream accordingly.
Change the attachment to a whisk and gradually add the double cream, whipping till the frosting is of  piping consistency. Do this on high speed but keep a close watch, as you don't want to over do the whisking and cause the double cream to separate.
Add more cream if your desired consistency is not reached. Mine was perfect with 2/3rd cups of cream.
Transfer the frosting into a piping bag and frost away.

9 comments:

Amina Creations said...

wow.. perfect looking cup cakes with beautiful and creamy frosting... truly a visual treat! Wish you merry Christmas and a Happy New year...

Rumana Rawat said...

So pretty and awesome pictures...

Suja Manoj said...

Beautiful frosting,lovely!

divya said...

wow..looks awesome..

Manju said...

nice :)

Vineetha Sush said...

This is the frosting I have been waiting for ...loved that it can be piped so beautifully.I thought of even asking u one day for this recipe before christmas as I was planning to make a cupcakes for my hubby's friends in office then I dropped the plan as I got busy with other things :)

Priya Suresh said...

Love cream cheese frosting than buttercream frosting. Love the way you have piped them,prefect and neat.

Belated xmas wishes Nisha.

M D said...

The frosting looks beautiful. Must taste amazing. Loved the piping!

Bharathy said...

A recipe which is perfect for the season :) Love the pictures! the first one,with the greetings, is simply too good!

Yeah, I missed Ktm, family and friends too much this time for Christmas.. sigh...

Lets keep up our good spirits :)
Season's greetings to you too, Nisha!