Thursday 17 January 2013

No-yeast naan and keema {quick dinner idea}

IMG_6276
Trying to figure out what to make for dinner these days has become a major chore. I mean sometimes I know what exactly I want to have and then I get all enthusiastic to source ingredients and make it happen. But on most other days I'm just lost. I'm bored with chapati and usual curries, bored with macaroni bakes, bored with dosa/ idli and bored with soup and bread. I ask Ro what he wants for dinner and he says two words all the time, Chinese or Mediterranean. Unfortunately I'm rubbish at both these and so the only option is to eat out. Which is what Ro means by Chinese and Mediterranean, but that's not an option always isn't it?

Anyways, on one of those days I was breaking my head over what to make, I did my usual scouting of blogs to get some inspiration and landed on this beautiful blog that had pretty pictures and some interesting recipes. The yohurt naan caught my eye and the fact that it didn't need any yeast and rising time and such made it even more attractive. I have always wanted to make naan at home, and have bookmarked quite a few recipes from experts out there. But that, I kept for another time and decided to try this no yeast naan the very day I found the recipe. It was so so easy to make and came out really well. In fact, I think I like this option better than the real deal, not just because it tastes fab, more so because it was all done in under half an hour. 
IMG_6303
The first time I made it, I paired it with some Andhra egg curry, which was good, but not great. Yesterday I paired it with some kheema and it was fab. I'm not a big fan of minced beef/lamb, so I very rarely use them at home. This preparation was a pleasant change from the usual and so I enjoyed it. I am gonna use the left over mince meat in a stuffed bun, following this recipe. Both the recipes- naan and keema- are from the same blog and I'm so glad I chanced upon it on my frantic search for inspiration. 

On a completely different note, if you haven't entered my giveaway, do so soon, you only have 2 more weeks. And as I had mentioned before, we are having a bloggers meet in London on the 23rd of feb. Its a whole day event with lots of fun master classes, food and great company. We have been lucky enough to get some fabulous sponsors and it would be really great if you can make it to the event. Check out our event blog for details on how to register, sponsor updates and competitions.

No-yeast naan (recipe adapted from here, makes 10)
IMG_6283
Plain flour- 300 gms (3 cups)
Baking powder- 2 tsp
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Sugar- 1 /2 tsp
Yoghurt- 60ml (approx. 2 tbsp)
Water- 140 ml
Oil- 2 tbsp
Butter- to brush on the naan
IMG_6280 
Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
Make a well in the centre and add the yoghurt and water.
Knead well, either using the dough hook of your mixer or using your hands, till the dough comes together.
Add the oil and continue kneading until you get a pliable dough. Don't over work it though.
Divide the dough equally into 10 and roll each into a ball.
Meanwhile, put a tawa on high heat and dust your counter with flour.
Roll out each of the dough balls into a round or oval- naan shape. My rolling skills are pathetic, which I'm sure you can see. But roll it out in whichever shape and size you prefer. 
Place the rolled out dough on to the tawa and wait till it puff up or you see bubbles appearing on top.
At this point flip it and cook for about a minute or so, and the naan is slightly charred.
Transfer to a plate and generously brush with butter.
Sprinkle some coriander leaves on top and serve warm.

Notes: Feel free to halve the recipe. have done it and it works fine.
I am sure you can improvise using garlic, cumin, herbs and spices etc etc. Incorporate it into the dough or sprinkle on top on you brush with butter.
To keep the naan warm, wrap in aluminium foil till ready to serve.

Beef keema with peas and potatoes
IMG_6288 
Beef mince/ Lamb mince- 500 gms
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Cardamom- 3 pods
Cinnamon stick- 1, 2 inch piece
Bay leaves- 2
Onions- 2 medium, finely sliced
Ginger-garlic paste- 2 tsp
Meat masala- 1 tsp
Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
Pepper- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Garam masala- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp to add at the end
Yoghurt- 1 tbsp
Tomato- 1 small, finely chopped
Potatoes- 1 medium, peeled and diced into small cubes
Mint leaves- 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Coriander leaves- 3 tbsp + enough to garnish
Green peas- 1/4 cup (I used frozen green peas)
Salt- to taste
IMG_6301 
Heat oil in a pan cooker and throw in cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves and wait for it to sizzle.
Throw in the onions and sauté till they turn a golden brown in colour.
Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes till the raw smell disappears.
Turn the heat to high and add the minced beef.
Break the meat using the spoon and cook, stirring well, until all the meat is browned.
Reduce heat to medium and add all the masalas, making sure you mix it well into the beef.
Mix in the yoghurt and tomato followed by mint leaves, coriander leaves and potatoes.
Add a bit of bit of water and enough salt, mix well and cover and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, or till the meat and potatoes have cooked through.
Open lid at intervals and give a good mix. 
Also, add more water if its too dry or if there is loads of water, evaporate it on high heat.
Mix in the green peas, and also check for salt. Add if required.
Finally, sprinkle the remaining garam masala, give one final mix and transfer to a serving bowl.
Just before serving, garnish with coriander leaves.
IMG_6293 
Notes: Freeze the remaining in an air tight container and use to stuff buns, Sloppy Joe's, and keema dosa.
Feel free to use the same recipe with lamb.
You can also double the recipe.
You can do the entire cooking in a pressure cooker as well.
I like my kheema without any gravy, like a semi dry consistency. If you'd like more gravy, add water accordingly.

17 comments:

Finla said...

I have given up making naans as when ever i make them i tend to say they are not same like the ones i have ate in India. My mom's sis always made kheema like this, .

divya said...

Believe me, my mouth is just watering here, irresistible and flavorful dishes...

Vijitha (Spices and Aroma) said...

I make naans but I use yeast to ferment the dough. I am going to try your recipe as I don't like to use yeast often. Even I make naan in a stove top. I brush water on one side and cook it covered. I learnt it from Kankana and its Soma's technique I think. It definitely saves time and my guests love it.

Binys Recipes said...

gud one dear..my friend makes naan with self raising flour..keema sure is yum yum

Shema George said...

Love the combo...and i also prefer Naan without yeast...Your pics are really making me hungry Nisha :)

Unknown said...

Love the smoky naan

Priya Suresh said...

Even i dont like adding yeast in my naans, looks interesting.

Both naan and kheema makes me hungry;

Suhaina said...

oooooohhhh...i love the beautiful clicks...it makes the naan and the kheema look more tastier...really appreciate ur skills dear..wish i was in london so that could join the bloggers meet. wish u all a good and memorable day..

virunthu unna vaanga said...

Naan looks so yummy... will try soon...
My guest post on Priya's space

Show Your Styles(in cooking)to the World
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

divyagcp said...

Love this method of making naan. I make naan with yeast but need to plan it ahead, so that there is enough rising time.. And am not good at planning.. so I make it once in a blue moon.. Shall try your method.. Is there any resting method for the dough or naan can be prepared right away once the dough is ready?

Rinku Naveen said...

I am yet to try out the tawa method. Have made them using the pressure cooker method. Naans have come out so good and loved the idea of no yeast naan. The kheema looks too good. A nice combo.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

yummmmmy and very tempting..nice cliks.awesum

Reshmi Mahesh said...

I have made naan with yeast method..Takes lot of time and planning...this method sounds like my kind(lazy kind)..Beautifully presented...

denise @ singapore shiok said...

Hi Nisha, thanks for linking back to my recipes. Your photography is beautiful and does my simple recipes great credit! Hope you visit again soon :)

Bharathy said...

What a deadly combo! Love both!! Yummm!!!

Unknown said...

Nisha, I tried these nans today its too good and easy to put together. Found them soft and so easy to bite, thanks for sharing <3 them

Magic in the Mundane said...

Hi Nisha ,
I tried th beef mince recipe and it was really good. Everyone loved it at home.
It's like an Indian twist to shepherds pie :)
This blog was forwarded to me by Aparna Nair and thanks to her now I have some more interesting recipes for my kitchen